Earth is peripherally located on the Local Arm of our Milky Way galaxy. A physical place beyond Earth is the Moon, a satellite of our planet. Through space and time and human interconnectedness with our planet as place has influenced the way we create our legacy with storytelling, art, and everyday work in life.
Growing up with Greek parents coming to America on a boat through Ellis Island, it is important for me to preserve their culture. My first exposure to the arts was Greek pottery, sculpture, embroidery, byzantine icons, music and dance in my home. In my work, I also recall my memories of visits to my grandparents’ village in Greece including their stories, farm life, and objects that became meaningful to me.
I have always been fascinated by pottery designs, the utilitarian function of a vessel, and mythological stories. The vessels of clay made of the very substance of our planet throughout time have been like a vast book telling humanity’s story.
I reference narrative objects in my drawings and paintings in order to tell my story through my art.
PUBLISHED / AWARDS
- 2022, 2021, 2020, 2017, NATIONAL ARTS PROGRAM, 2020 Honorable Mention, Teacups With Plants, 2017 First Place Award, Nest, University of Arizona
- 2021 Spring: Published in "Persephone: the Harvard Undergraduate Classics Journal, "East Meets West," artwork in pen and ink, and watercolor.
- 2021 TUCSON FOLK FESTIVAL AWARD: Logo Design
- 2021 SUN TRAN PUBLIC TRANSIT, Finalist, Ride Guide Cover Art Contest
- 2017 GOVERNOR’S ARTS AWARD: Love Your Earth, Oil Painting
- 2022 TREES STIR IN THEIR LEAVES, Community Art Project at the Bryant Bannister Tree-Ring Building,
through the Center for Creative Photography and the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research, both exhibits follow historical, cultural, and scientific narratives inspired by trees.
- 2021 ROCHE “FACES OF A COMMUNITY,” Art Exhibition
- 2021 BFA ONLINE EXHIBIT, University of Arizona, BFA Online Exhibition
- PICTURING 2020: A Community Reflects, Theme: Hope, Internal Combustion,
University of Arizona Museum of Art, https://picturing2020.artmuseum.arizona.edu
- 2020, 2019, 2018 - BFA EXHIBITION, University of Arizona
- 2017 - 2D JURIED EXHIBIT, Lionel Rombach Gallery, Heart and Soul, University of Arizona
- 2017-2021 - THE ART OF PLANETARY SCIENCE, Cosmic Rose, Selene, Tactile Moon, Stained Glass Universe, WoMan of the Moon, Nebula NGC 1333, Cosmic Rose - ARP 273, Heart Meteorite, University of Arizona
Zoom Recorded Q & A
POETRY MOON SLAM: WoMan of the Moon, 5:16 on video – Link to All Poetry
- 2019 - COMMUNITY FOOD BANK OF SOUTHERN ARIZONA, Need2Nourish, Steinfeld Warehouse Community Arts Center
- 2018 - TUCSON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT, Lower Link Gallery, Paintings and Illustrations
- 2018, 2016 - BANNER UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER, solo exhibits,
Springtime Song, The Harmonic Within
- 2016 - PLATING THE DESERT, Union Gallery, Garden of Sustainability, A blend of food, art, environment and community, University of Arizona
ARTISTS/DESIGNERS WHO INSPIRE ME
Armin Hofmann, Ken Hiebert, Josef Muller-Brockmann, Robert Bringhurst, Jan Tschichold, Jay Hambidge, April Greiman, Joseph Albers, Paul Rand, Wassily Kandinsky, Paul Klee, Picasso, Piet Mondrian, Henri Matisse, Marc Chagall, Gustav Klimt, The Bauhaus, Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, Greek Art, Native American Art